Friday 21 September 2012

Faith in Humanity - Character Counts


faith in humanity restored

I was in NYC on 9/11/2001. I was
residing up in Inwood, which is the northern most portion of Manhattan, "the tip of the island", 207th and Broadway where the "A" starts and ends. I was surfing the internet in the time in my studio which overlooked the Dyckman Residence, the oldest remaining farmhouse on Manhattan. My mother referred to as me and stated "They hit it! They hit the building", or something to that effect. I didn't possess a television in the time so I hustled more than to my neighborhood bar and watched the events from there.

About
ten minutes went by when the owner looked at me and asked me if I was drinking. I told him, "No, I just want to watch what is happening." "If you're not drinking, you will must leave," he said. Possibly he was getting a undesirable day also. I paused for any moment and after that quietly left the bar disgusted.

I walked
over towards the neighborhood barbershop and asked my barber if I could watch the events from there due to the fact I didn't possess a tv. She stated, "Sure." About 10 minutes went by after which she asked me "Are you going to get a haircut?" I mentioned, wanting to remain calm, "No, I just want to watch what's happening". She remained quiet and I stayed for any about one more 15 minutes till I couldn't stand becoming there anymore. Essentially, I couldn't stand getting anywhere anymore at that moment. Perhaps these individuals did not recognize the severity in the circumstance at the time. Or probably, in a moment, they realized..we all realized...how helpless we basically had been and that nothing we could do or say would alter it. Either way, I located the expertise surreal even getting so far away from Ground Zero.
Soon after walking about Inwood Hill Park for about an hour taking in the morning's events, I went more than to my friend's apartment. I walked in only to determine the "WTC" tickets we had bought sitting on her entry table. We had been up on the Observation Deck on the Twin Towers just two weeks prior. Slightly creepy to say the least. Beth lived near the George Washington Bridge so we had been able to step outside and see the smoldering aftermath from there. An hour passed, we went back to her place, sitting silently on her couch watching the news for the rest of your day.

Thank you Beth for just
getting there. It is been 7 years since 9/11. None of us will forget what happened that day but I'll under no circumstances forget how my faith in humanity shifted on lots of levels not only because of what was happening downtown but in addition because of what I saw and experienced with a number of people in my neighborhood. Time heals. Slowly. My faith inside the bar owner and inside the barber has been restored. It wasn't out of something they mentioned or did inside the days or weeks immediately after the events of 9/11. It almost certainly had to do together with the truth I could not essentially reside with the believed that they acted this way the many time, even if they did.

None of us are
fantastic. Beth and I have lost speak to over the years but I'm positive she hasn't modified and that's a very good issue. What did I understand from this? Keep taking a look at the bigger image. Keep hunting outdoors of myself. Assistance where I can. I'll be the very first to admit its not effortless nor do I come close to remembering to accomplish that in each scenario. But it is something worth striving for to make life more comfortable for the persons I are available in contact with every day.
In the words of Michael Josephson, "Character counts." Ray Schiel
Ray Schiel
is definitely the Organizer of your Worldwide Social Media Network and also the Social Media/Business Marketing and advertising Meetup Group in Los Angeles. He helps artists, bands and firms fully grasp the value of working with Social Media in their business enterprise.
people doing good things

No comments:

Post a Comment